Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Nursing myths

When I started training for this triathlon, I heard a lot of bad advice from women, basically telling me to take it easy. Well, let me tell you; me taking it easy is akin to being the biggest slob in the world. The reason why I sign up and compete in triathlons is because otherwise, I would do NOTHING! I would be A-1 coach potato. Some of the myths that were perpetuated on me were as follows:
  • Exercising changes your milk, and the baby won't like the taste of it.
  • Lactose gets into your milk and causes the baby to have stomach aches.
  • Your milk supply will decrease.
After researching the above topics, I found each to be false. My baby hasn't rejected my milk, even when I feed her directly after exercising. My doctor calls it a "salty margarita," because there's salt on the lip of the "glass" but not in the glass. I have been more susceptable to mastitis because of my long workout days, but we've trudged through it.

As long as I take a prenatal vitamin and eat plenty of calories, my milk supply has stayed high. It's more difficult to lose weight fast because I have to eat plenty of calories, but slow and steady wins the race.

No comments: