Sunday, May 20, 2007

Let me introduce you to my bikes

My husband is a gear queer. Ever since we've been married he's had the nicest bikes. He worked at a bike shop for nearly the first three years of our marriage, and I'm pretty sure he got paid in bike parts and accessories. Therefore, he always had the nicest stuff. Then he started collecting double the stuff in case a friend wanted to ride with him and the friend did not have a bike. Now I am doing triathlons and I get all his old hand-me-downs. But let me warn you, his hand-me-downs are other people's dream bikes. I don't say this to brag, really, I say this to express my heartfelt appreciation to a husband who likes to collect things, and consequently, collects things for the both of us.

I have two bikes. One bike is a training bike and one bike is a racing bike.

Traing bike: It's a Lemond Versailles. It's navy blue and vanilla painted. It's a workhorse bike, but isn't as fun to ride as my racing bike.

Racing bike: An Isaac Efficiency. It has triathlon-drop handlebars (I'm not sure of the actual term), and it feels like a rocket. When I'm in the tuck zone and speeding down a flat, I feel like I'm doing 30 mph. I don't know how fast I'm going because we've haven't put on a speedometer yet.

Getting a good, fun bike to ride really helps on those long training hours. The only other thing that would help would be a nice long road, with rollers, and no cars.

No comments: