Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Knots

As in, my stomach is in ... knots. The Vikingman half-ironman is three days away. The anticipation of the race is almost worse than the race itself. I just called my dad and he said the Snake's temperature is at a balmy 55 degrees. We'll definitely be wearing our skull caps. The projected forecast for the race is a high of 63. I just hope the Idaho winds aren't blowing. It reminds me of the old joke that still isn't funny: Why is Idaho so windy? Because Utah sucks. My cousins from Utah would try to turn that joke around, but it never made sense to me, because Utah isn't nearly as windy as Idaho.

I'm having a hard time doing anything because of my jitters. I just need to calm down. I remind myself of the following truths.

I would rather do the Vikingman than:
  • repeat high school.
  • pass a chemistry class.
  • file for bankruptcy.
  • be a sprinter.
  • clean-up my house after a tornado.
  • sell books door-to-door.
  • go through a divorce.
  • encounter a rattle snake.

Life's partially about conquering one's fears. Nothing like a triathlon to remind me.

2 comments:

Mr. Flynn said...

It has been bouncing around between 58 and 59 for the past couple of days. It won't be getting any warmer. Here is the link to check the temp

http://www.usbr.gov/pn-bin/dfcgi.pl/?sta=MINI

Angela said...

Looks like I was caught by Brad. I feel the force pulling me to the dark side of triathlons. Damn! I feel like curling up into the fetal position, sucking my thumb, and crying that I want my momma. I CAN'T DO THIS!!!!!!